Italian Wine News


The Second MiWine in Milan, Italy
Staff Writer – May 12, 2006

MiwineMiWine, the professional exhibition of quality wine and spirits, is preparing for its second event, which will be held in the Portello Halls of the Fiera Milano (Milan Trade Show Center), from June 12, to 14, 2006.

Organized by Fiera Milano SpA in collaboration with Unione Italiana Vini (UIV, or Italian Wine Union), MiWine is dedicated exclusively to trade professionals. Though it is deeply rooted in the quality wine-making tradition of Italy, MiWine has a strong international slant. In addition, notwithstanding the business-oriented organization of the trade fair, the event has the capability to attracting visiting customers and wine connoisseurs by combining business with entertaining and cultural activities.

The choice of Milan as the venue for the event is among the plusses offered by MiWine. Milan, as the main commercial, non-industrial Italian city, is the true driving force behind the Italian economy, thanks to its entrepreneurial dynamism, tradition and mentality. In addition Milan is an international landmark for several prestigious professional sectors, such as fashion and design. The city has one of the most strategic exhibition centers in Europe, and counts on efficient links with the rest of the world as well as Italy.

A fair tailored to the wine community. This was the presentation card of the first 2004 MiWine, and the figures have confirmed it, with over 1,200 businesses represented in an exhibition area of 16,000m² (over 172,000sq²) and 25,000 professional guests. including a large number of foreign buyers and journalists from 41 countries.

MiWine 1

As well as a packed calendar of events and tasting sessions, both in the exhibition center and at prestigious venues in the city, through an exclusive program of guided visits to wineries devised by the organizers and called 'Enotour', MiWine allowed the main buyers and trade journalists to make direct contact with the best Italian producer in the days immediately after the event. This way they got to know and appreciate the extraordinary variety and excellence of Italian wines, native vines and local production techniques.

In 2002 the global production of wine amounted to about 27 million tons, 60% of which was produced by the European Union, for an overall value of over 16 million tons. The remaining 40% was produced by the rest of the world, mainly in the Americas, which produced 19% of the total.

The offer of wine at international level is considerably concentrated, as 64% of total production comes from just 5 countries  France, Italy, Spain, USA and Argentina. France is the largest producer in the European Union – thus in the world – with 5.4 million tons (33% of EU production), followed by Italy with 29%.

MiWine 2

Also as regards consumption, Europe remains the main international wine market: out of an estimated 27.8 million tons of global consumption in 2000, the European Union countries consumed 58%, followed by 10% in the USA, a market that has been strongly and constantly growing during the last decade.

MiWine 3

The most interesting figure is the increase in the production of 'quality wines' from 32% in 1992 to 42% in 2002, a response to increasingly demanding consumer requirements.

The MiWine 2006 promotional program in the main international reference markets began immediately after the first event finished. In fact, MiWine was and is promoted in all the major international wine and spirit exhibitions, including Wine for Asia in Singapore, Fancy Food Show in San Francisco and New York, Prodexpo in Moscow, Prowein in Düsseldorf, Foodex in Tokyo and Vinexpo in Bordeaux. In addition, MiWine has been promoted in international events celebrating the excellence of the Italian products, such as the annual NIAF convention in Washington, in October 2004) and the Foreign Press Media Awards in London, in November 2004).

For further information check out the MiWine official web site
Fiera Milano Representative Office in New York
Italian Wine Producers Italian Wine Exporters Italian Wine Importers Italian Wine Distributors Italian Wine News


Web Architect: Loris Scagliarini – Web site design and production:








Home Advanced Search LoginSubmit a Company Contact Us

Article Index

Italian Wine Labels:
The great online Italian wine label collection featuring products from all Italian wine regions.
Italian Flavor Consortium
brings together Italian quality wine and specialty food producers with overseas importers, distributors, large resellers and restaurant chains.